Saturday 22 December 2007

Luscombe Valley

The Luscombe Valley Railway, a 5" gauge line in Sandbanks, Poole had their Christmas open day today (in aid of Julia's House). My sister recommended it (they visited in the summer), so we took the little ones & met up with them. Now this is very much the serious end of garden railways, real engineering rather than modelling (though I tend to think that my 16mm stuff is somewhere in-between). Very impressive though, quite a number of routes; computer signalled throughout, & a fair bit of civil engineering / earthworks to achieve a level run on a sloping site. I think it made my family realise my line is fairly 'low impact' on the garden by comparison!

They were very busy today, with half-hour queues for a ride. There were something like half-a-dozen locos running; mostly diesel-outline electric, but there were two live steam locos running. We had an enjoyable run hauled by a class 59 diesel-electric. We look forward to going back to the next summer open-day - recommended!

No comments: