Sunday 21 September 2008

Fettling the MSS

Well, after the Model Engineer show yesterday, I came home & steamed both Mortimer & Cackler, both running nicely in the afternoon sun.

I then decided to get the MSS back into service, having now received the recently ordered lubricator. BTW, the service from Dream Steam was very good, and as there were a few days delay due to a PayPal issue, they threw in a brass chimney cap - very decent of them. I'm also happy to report their lubricator design is an improvement on the IP version, as the pipe to the reversing block is longer & as a result I didn't have to file anything at all! The loco has been running in on blocks this evening, but there seems to be a problem with the replacement IP cylinders; lots of steam leaking from the piston rod glands, and no packing behind the gland nuts either, so something to sort out this week. The old cylinders weren't all that bad, so I may just go back to them for the time being to get her running on the track.. The Dream Steam centre buffer replacement buffer beams look very good too I think.

No comments: